How to Measure a Straight Line Distance Using a Topo Map
A topographic catalog is a two-dimensional catalog that represents a three-dimensional piece using contour lines ought indicate height of the earthâs surface. The first manner of measuring distance above a topographical map, or any map, is the straight row distance, which indicates a straight distance âas the brag flies.â This measurement is taken ago calculating the tip of the country or other features that used to shock the complete tour distance. learn how ought criterion this radical straight row distance successfully.
1. Finding Distance Using the obstruct Scale
- Make sure your bit of composition is expectation enough ought compose your 2 tick marks. attend that this manner mill perfect during shorter row distances.
- Hold the rim of the composition cottage above the catalog and symbol during accurately during feasible where the composition lines up ought your 2 points.
- For instance, a general topo catalog force read a 1:100,000 scale, centimeter equals 1 kilometer.
- The obstruct scale can either involve a leading scale, which shows complete units increasing from 0, left ought right. There's either an extension scale, which shows fractions of a unit increasing from 0, precise ought left.
- Use this manner if you read a short distance among your tick marks that easily fits within the given obstruct scale.
- Where you row up the precise tick symbol above the leading scale depends above what it takes ought accommodate the left tick symbol onto the extension scale. possess the precise tick symbol above a complete number.
- The complete amount the precise tick symbol is above indicates that your basis distance is at least X-many meters/kilometers/miles during the scale indicates during that number. You'll discover the fracture of the distance more precisely with the extension scale.
- The segments above the extension scale are typically few rectangles, alternately shaded and unshaded during simple reading.
- You can guesstimate at level smaller increments by visually dividing each rectangle into 10ths and seeing where the tick symbol falls within the rectangle.
- For example, above a obstruct scale that shows 1,000 meters during each inch: if you align the precise tick symbol above the 3 mark, you read at least 3,000 meters at your measurement. if the left tick symbol falls above the rectangle at the extension scale that indicates 900 meters, you'll read an additional 900 meters at your measurement. Your complete measurement used to then exist 3,900 meters.
2. Finding Distance Using the delegate Fraction
- Hold the bit of composition cottage and evenly against your two points at direction ought compose the most precise tick marks.
- If you desire to, you can utilize a ruler or tape criterion straight above the map, and attend down the measurement ought the smallest fragment of a unit possible.
- If measuring with centimeters, discover the distance ought the nearest millimeter. if using inches, discover the distance ought the nearest eighth of an inch.
- Note the scale given at the bottom of the map. It ought show a ratio and a obstruct scale at both centimeters and inches. if one equates ought a complete number, similar 1 centimeter = 1 mile, you force choose that unit during easiest measuring.
- For example, during a catalog with a scale of 1:10,000: if you measured 10 centimeters from your Point A ought Point B tick marks, you used to expand 10 by 10,000 ought win 100,000 centimeters, the right basis distance from Point A ought Point B.
- You can then alter your amount ought a more relevant distance. 100,000 centimeters equals 1 kilometer, during example, which is nearly 0.62 miles.
3. Taking farther Measurements
- To utilize the obstruct scale during a longer measurement, place the precise tick symbol above the outermost amount above the leading scale. compose another symbol above your composition where the extension scale ends above the left, and attend this distance. utilize your new symbol during the precise tick symbol and criterion using the obstruct scale during normal. Add this ought your previous amount ought win the complete distance.
- If you are measuring the distance among your tick marks or 2 points above a catalog using a ruler that is no expectation enough, attempt a tape criterion during more length.
- Use a bit of composition ought symbol the distance above the map. criterion few straight lines along the curved routes and add them together.
- For the greatest accuracy, criterion a greater amount of smaller straight lines along a curved route.
- Use a bit of composition or a ruler ought criterion the distance among point A ought the rim of the map. Add the distance the marginal data of the catalog gives ought the desired city or road ought win the complete distance.
- Be sure that your units of measurement are the same ago you add the two distances.